Friday, January 30, 2009

"Who would win in a battle between...?"

One of the hardest things about working with teen boys is getting them talking. Some are very hard to engage in any type of conversation is usually met with a grunt or two. Remembering what was taught to me by the great Linda Gould, that conversations have different levels, getting the boys to talk about anything is a start, and can lead to deeper conversations as a relationship grows.
So I sometimes come up with stupid questions. The most recent began with the question "who would win in a battle between King Kong and Godzilla?" and between Batman and Spiderman (that would depend on whose comic it was in but would have them fight each other until they discovered that they were being manipulated by the Penguin and the Vulture in an evil avian plot).I then started to ask more obscure versions of the questions, which ended up last night with "Who would win in a battle between Tony the Tiger and Snap, Crackle and Pop?" It was interesting to see them actually debate it for a moment.
I know two things about this. It would not work if they did not know my humour and it is only a starting point for getting them talking.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Tony, while courageous, is basically stupid, so I reckon the devious (and fundamentally evil) trio would win, outwitting the tiger. A pitfall trap baited with Frosties would do it, but they'll go for the over-elaborate Heath Robinson/Wallace & Gromit plan.

5:35 pm

 
Blogger Mark said...

The girls went for Tony the Tiger and the boys went for Snap and co.
When I asked who wold wi between Han Solo and Indiana Jones I got balnk looks. "but he's the same person!"

12:37 am

 
Blogger Caroline said...

At job o'doom we had a resident with learning difficulties who would ask questions like this. You knew that your mind was going when you found yourself giving serious consideration to these questions late at night. The most infamous one, I think, was "Who would win between a crocodile and a poisonous rabbit?"

3:05 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home