Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"Hello duck"

Saturday was spent around HamiltonsBawn with my mum.
We spent some time at Gosford Forest, with mum sitting in the car while Julie, Charlotte and myself went to the rare fowl enclosure. Charlotte went round saying 'hello duck' to anything with feathers, fully enjoying the experience. Then we went to the Dean Swift restaurant.
Set in the beautiful Forrest, looking out on to rare cattle, sheep and deer, with the tall graceful trees in the background. Sounds idyllic, yes. But no, gentle reader, because beauty was on the outside only here. We went in, to the counter and it was the Mary Celest. Not a being about. I gave a shout of 'service' to Julies disdain (northern Ireland thing), and a teen girl came out. Julie ordered while I found a table. That should of been easy, considering we were the only customers at 3pm on a Saturday, but of the 7 tables in the main area, 4 still had dirty dishes on them, and another hadn't been wiped.
Julie came with her tea and bun, while my coffee was on a promise. When it came, it was obvious that the filter coffee had only just got through the machine and I was left to decide if I shoudt drink the dark liquid, or chew.
The staff were pleasant enough, but just inept. This sis a problem in Northern Ireland. Take a beautiful place, where tourists from around the world may stumble. Open a well placed restaurant or coffee shop,a nd then staff it with the cheapest labour, regardless of ability or demeanor.
The bun was good.

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Mark, I agree - I experience this each time I visit. Why do you think there is not a service mentality, after all the people are friendly enough, they just don't seem to empathise with customers?

12:43 pm

 
Blogger Ruth said...

Maybe they are just surprised to get customers in the first place? They are serving you in a state of shock!

6:17 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home