Sunday, January 01, 2006

Page turner prize

I managed to get a throat infection over Christmas so we didn't wander very much this last week. I did get to read a bit.
I finished 'State of fear' by Michael Crichton. Dealing with global warming and global terrorism, it has a pace style that keeps the page turning. I have read quite a few of Crichtons books over the years, and found this one the most preachy. He shows his views on global warming (see G W Bushes), with the main chariters job for the first half of the book to ask 'why?' and 'what?' a lot to get two more pages of explanation. The basic point is, don't believe in something just because everybody else does, but look into it. Good read, bad preaching.
I managed to finish 'Thud!' by Terry Pratchett. Following City Watch Commander SamVimes, trying to stop a war between Trolls and Dwarfs, dealing with a Vampire as a new recuit (due to the equal opportunities employment) and making it home ever night to read 'Where's my cow?' to his son at 6pm every day. Terrific writing, but the ending does go by in a blur. Dealing with priorities in life, as well as subtle nudges at current world events.
' I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League' is the follow up to 'Formerly Known as the Justice League'. Think less of action packed adventure and think more sit com with superheroes. Minor league heroes join together to be heroes for hire as 'Super Buddies'. These comics have divided the fandom. Those of us who read comics before 1994 will enjoy the nostalgia of it. Multipanelled pages, not full page splash; Pages filled with dialogue, not monologue; real life humor, compared to grim and gritty. Sad thing is, DC, in there, er, wisdom, has now killed off three of the main characters to appease the company wide crossover.
Hopefully 2006 will bring more good books. Just have to find them now.

15 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Thud was, indeed, very good, but I can't help think old Pratchett is losing his touch. Perhaps he's writing too many books (it's about 3/year at the moment. Needs more Carrot, if you ask me. Another decent witch book would be good now.

5:38 pm

 
Blogger Mark said...

I think Pratchett is better than ever. WHen he started the Discworld novels they were purly spoofs of other works and the fantasy works in general. SOme of the books (like Last Continent) are rubish, and not worth reading, but now he writes his own stories of non-magical charicters.
the problem with Carrot is that he is simple (as in uncomplicated, rather than stupid), and that does not make good stories. You need some complextion to be interesting, to go where the reader has not imagined. The witches are the opposite. WHere do you go after Carpe Jugulim? Agnes would be a good charicter to follow, but Granny Weatherwax is now a very complex charicter, and has mooved, in part,to the childrens end of Discworld publications.
A good article on Discworld can be found at http://www.ie.lspace.org/books/analysis/david-bapst.html

7:41 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel you may be analysing this all a little too much...

7:44 pm

 
Blogger Mark said...

Maybe, but it makes me sound intelegent, like!

10:44 pm

 
Blogger Ruth said...

Ah, well now. Last Continent is one of my favourites, especially the bit about how Rincewind made Vegemite - had me it tears the first time I read it.

I think there's more to explore with Carrot. Will he ever become King? His way of disarming conflict without ever realising how special he is is brilliant. You can see Angua rolling her eyes at him at how ordinary he thinks he is; his armour almost polishes itself at his purity. You just know that one word from him and he'd take over the city.

Anyway, all this is your fault, Mark, as it was you who bought me the City Watch trilogy in the first place.

I've enjoyed his 'children's' books a bit more recently.

7:05 pm

 
Blogger Ruth said...

...especially the Nac Mac Feegle.

7:06 pm

 
Blogger Mark said...

Fair enough...
Now try
http://quizilla.com/users/Margolotta/quizzes/Discworld%3A%20Which%20Ankh-Morpork%20City%20Watch%20Character%20are%20YOU%3F/
and see which watch chariter you are..
I got vimes.

8:09 pm

 
Blogger Ruth said...

Respect to you Commander Vimes. I ended up as Dorfl. Not sure if I'm pleased or not. Feet of Clay was a goodun though.

10:51 pm

 
Blogger John said...

Eh?

10:55 pm

 
Blogger Ruth said...

Why do I think John might come out as the Bursar?

7:15 pm

 
Blogger Ruth said...

John, don't even try to understand. Rog and other Pratchett fans (unfortunately far too many of my friends and relatives) get themselves far too excited over all this. :) And, yes, I blame Mark for starting it.

7:47 pm

 
Blogger Mark said...

well, it is my blogg! Do you want me to start on Dr Who? Or maybe talk about Cecella Ahern books?
(oh, and I don't think the Burser is in the city watch, Just the Librerian from the unseen University)[just to ggek it up a bit more]

10:46 pm

 
Blogger Ruth said...

Yes, apologies, of course it's your blog! Just as I write about cleaning on mine (sad but true) you can write about Terry. Tbh at least your blog is interesting!!

10:56 pm

 
Blogger Mark said...

So is yours. You write in a very honest way. So what about Cecella Ahern's latest book. Its about a woman who's husband works nights and he leaves her notes telling her to go to bed and get some sleep.

11:48 pm

 
Blogger Ruth said...

Mark, I did a quiz that Roger had on his blog and now I'm "Captain Carrot Ironfoundersson". What does that mean? Is it good or bad? Hope I come out as a scary monster!!! x

8:36 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home