Life on mars
We will discover that sam is actually an escaped patient from 1973 who has take on the identity of The real Sam Tyler, who is from the future. Of course by th etime you read this we will know, and my idea will sound stupid.
We had a trip yesterday to HamiltonsBawn to see my mum. She is in good form, but a bit unsteady on her legs. I took her down to the corner shop, and what I found made me think I was in 1973. They were selling golliwoggs. I had one as a child, but I would never dream of buying the girls one, mainly because of the racist undertones. These should of gone out with the Black and White Minstrel Show and Jim Davidsons 'Chalky' jokes. In '70s Northern Ireland to see someone who hadn't a pasty white skin was very unusual, but now we cannot claim this iognorance, especially when there is such a strong NF feeling amongst some groups in Northern Ireland.
During the afternoon we took a trip to the Palace Stables Heritage Centre in Armagh while mum slept. They were haveing a back in time day, not to 1973, but the early 1800's. We were there in time to see a duel with pistolds. It was very entertaining and educational. No one got killed.


Labels: Family

1 Comments:
Looks a lovely day. To be perfectly honest, I collect golliwog stuff as a kid and had no idea it was racist. But that's prob because I was bought up in a white middle classed environment?
9:31 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home