Tuesday, October 18, 2005

How to fold a flag.

I sometimes look stuff up on the internet that is doubtful whether I will ever use the information or not, but sometimes you hit gold.
The British Standard for making a cup of tea (BS 6008) is not one of them.
The historical time lines of fictional people and places is not very useful.
Tombstone generator is just plain creepy.
And why I wanted to know what this guy argued about with his girlfriend, I just cannot fathom.
But learning how to fold a flag has paid off at least twice.
The most recent was last night when, before getting to the Cornerstone, one of our older boys handed me something, asking to keep it for him. In the dark, I wasn't sure what it was, so I asked. It was a crumpled up Government of Northern Ireland Flag, commonly known as either the 'Red Hand of Ulster', or the 'Ulster Flag' (untrue in both cases). I told him that I wouldn't take it unless he folded it up properly. He looked at me for a second or two, and then rolled it up in his hand. Stopping him, I told him that if he respected the flag, he would fold it up properly, and I went about teaching him. I really don't know if I was teaching him something about his cultural identity, or just messing with his head, but I liked it.




Of course, you really cannot get enough of Eric Conveys An Emotion.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, do you get very bored somedays? Where on EARTH do you come across these random websites?

Although admittedly Eric Conveys An Emotion did keep me amused for a while...

Drop me a line if you do find yourself without amusement and I shall provide some fantastically thrilling lecture notes that need writing up...

What a good friend I am!

2:25 am

 
Blogger John said...

Keep messing with their heads. Maybe they'll end up so confused that they might end up being normal.

9:08 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home